Its ok to be scared about stepping foot in a gym for the first time
Contemplating joining a gym can be very overwhelming to say the least.
It’s ok to feel like this....
I know when I first joined I was worried as I was super unfit and assumed that to go to a gym I really needed to already be in shape. I was worried that I wouldn't know what to do or how to use the equipment so I used to go and just use the cardio equipment. But eventually I became more confident and I was able to ask for help and give the weights and machines a try. I am still not the fittest, but that doesn’t matter. It’s all about giving everything a go....
Here are a few of my top tips to help you overcome your GYM FEARS
- Join with a friend. I find it’s so much easier if you have a workout buddy and someone to support you. This will definitely help, especially if you don’t feel confident. It’s also a great way to catch up and hang out while getting fit and healthy together. And it’s especially good to have someone who can check to make sure your tights are not see through – and you have someone you can check out the hot boys with - makes working out much more fun!!
- Make sure you join a gym that YOU feel comfortable with. It might mean trying out a few before you find the right fit. But it’s so important that you do because if you feel comfortable, you are more likely to go.
- When you first start out I find it’s best to avoid super busy times and make sure you have your favourite music ready to go. If you feel overwhelmed and intimidated this can help lower your stress and anxiety about being at the gym. And choosing a quieter time with less people working out means you won’t feel like all eyes are on you when you try a piece of equipment.
- Make sure you know what you are doing for your session before you get there. Arrive with a plan of action so that you can warm up and get straight into your workout. This will help with your confidence and make sure you don't waste time and get the most out of your session.
- Make a time with a PT and get them to take you through a plan that is suitable for your individual goals. Many gyms include this in the package when you sign up. Use this time to ask lots of questions and make sure you let them show you the correct techniques to help you avoid injury.
Just remember that everyone has to start somewhere and you have already done the hardest part which is take the first step and join. So have fun!!